Monday, May 17, 2010

The 911 From A Customer's Perspective


We recently received this note from one of our clients, Bob S. from Houston. Bob gave us permission to share it on our blog with you! If you have a Porsche story you'd like to share, please email it to Jack McCall at jack@indigoporsche.com. Happy driving!
----------

OK, I read the WSJ's article on the 911 Turbo. Good piece. It inspired me to make one last ditch attempt to explain to you why before you go to that final Sales Conference In The Sky, you must own a Porsche:

As I think I told you, my first real Porsche encounter was in 1994 at Skip Barber's at Sears Point. Porsche was filming a TV commercial and had five identical black 911Turbos on the track. I was watching them film during my lunch break, when Hurley Haywood, head of the Porsche racing program, walked over to me. Hurley Haywood! I introduced myself, trying hard to remember my name. He smiled and extended his right hand, not to shake mine, but to offer me a set of car keys. "Ever drive a Turbo?" he asked. I shook my head "no" and he continued, "Have a good time, keep the shiny side up, and stay on the track. We need it back in 30 minutes.". Oh-My-God. He pointed to the one on the end, and I walked -- no ran, before he could change his mind -- to the designated Turbo. I was wearing a Skip Barber one-piece racing coveralls, and gloves, so I was READY. Hot air was rising off the tarmac, just like in a Tom Cruise movie. Where is the percussion soundtrack when you need it?

This thing was pure sex: Beautiful, dangerous, mysterious, unavailable, athletic, and smelled like new leather and Mobile 1. I could feel my heart in my ears. Gotta keep the shiny side up. Hell, gotta not make an a-hole of myself.

I sat in it, buckled myself in, adjusted the seat and mirrors, inserted the key, and turned... Gawd, what a sound. I tweaked the pedal and the revs climbed from idle to 5500 in milliseconds. I looked around at the all-black leather interior. It looked like it had been carved out of a solid block of black granite. Felt like it, too. This thing, I thought, was not made on some assembly line, but by a few hands. It was PERFECT. It's a surgical instrument with sound effects!

I slipped it into first gear, SLOWLY let out the clutch, and exited the paddock area, heading for the start/finish line. The exhaust whispered a warning: I am not for amateurs. I will kick your ass, sonny.

The next 20 minutes were a blur of adrenaline, squealing tires, and disbelief. This machine is AMAZING. Acceleration forever. Brakes that stop so quickly they leave you in yesterday. Steering that can thread a needle. One thought began to emerge, starting quietly in the back of my head, getting louder, and moving slowly to my frontal cortex: I need one of these, now!

I drove back to the paddock area, now fairly confident, parked THE MACHINE next to the others, turned the engine off in a deliberate way, and exited. I walked a few paces away, and turned to look back at The Machine. The thought now completely filled my head. I couldn't hear anything else: I need one of these, now! I walked towards Haywood, who was busy talking to a cameraman. He looked at me, as I handed him the keys. He didn't ask the obvious question: "So, how'd you like it?". Nope. He just said, " OK. You have that look on your face. I get that a lot. I'll bet you own one before the end of the month." I mumbled a thank you, something about a lot of money to spend, something about lack of luggage room. He nodded and returned to the cameraman.

He was wrong on two counts: I bought a Carerra 4S, not a Turbo. And it was way before the end of the month. I have never been without a Porsche in my garage, since.

I drive my Porsche almost every day. And when I do, I never think about luggage room, or how much it costs. I’m just glad they still make them.

You only live once. Buy yourself a 911 while you can still enjoy it. I promise you, there is no substitute.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment